Thursday, October 2, 2014

I have a fetish for birds....

Right now I am loving birds. Anything with birds. This won't come as much of a surprise to my family and friends, as I certainly enjoy feeding the birds outside our dining room patio door - they are so much fun to watch! 

And I have been working, fairly diligently, on getting my studio back into shape. Let me tell you, it was a very big mess... and then I tore it all apart to start the cleaning process and it became a bigger mess. This was a bit overwhelming and so I just stayed clear for a few weeks. 

But the itching to create was (eventually) greater than the feeling of despair and I finally got it organized enough to at least have some work space and start creating. 

Someday I'd like to post the revamp photos and story, but for now suffice it to say that it will be awhile, as there is still a lot of work to do.

However, yesterday I created. When I make cards I frequently make multiples of the same design. I like to use them for my own giving occasions and I sell them locally at a store, so it's always good for me to make more than one.

Yesterday's design used some new stamps, some old stamps and some new card stock supplies. I also used a new technique... so read on to learn what I did!

I started with my new bird stamp - from Inkadinkado... I think it is precious. I then used some stamps I had in my collection: Number Pattern from Hero Arts and the "crackled" stamp from Magenta. I chose card stock from a new pad I recently bought - The Modern Meadow Stack by DCWV. I used the chevron pattern for the card background and circle punched the orange print paper and then stamped the number pattern onto the circle... using a basic brown ink.

Next I cut a rectangle from Bazzille Basics - And then I stamped, with orange ink, the crackled pattern on the paper. A tone on tone look. The Bazzill Basics stock is textured, so when I stamped the the birds they do not come out completely solid. I like this look! I stamped the birds with embossing ink and then heat embossed with Chocolate Brown. I then trimmed the end of the rectangle to the point, applied foam tape to the back and - this is where I used a technique new to me - I used plain old sewing thread and looped it around, sticking it to the foam, so that it would protrude beyond the rectangle! I saw this simple technique in a Hero Arts video that Julie Ebersole did. So cute and so clever!

 Here's a shot of the thread stuck to the foam on the back side of the rectangle.

And here's a shot of the thread from the front...

I added a birthday message on the inside and the card is all done and ready to give. I like the colors... think autumn.... and of course I LOVE the birds!

Have a blessed day, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome card design. I can see this as a wonderful masculine card as well as a fall one. I love that fiber trick too. I have done that a couple times myself since I saw someone on StampTV do that. Love when we find new ideas to make our cards more fantastic!